Here’s another recipe to make with piperade, the delicious sweet-spicy Basque country saute of peppers, onions, tomatoes, and Espelette pepper. The combination of warm runny egg yolks and spicy piperade is reminiscent of shakshuka, the delicious Middle Eastern egg and tomato dish. Be sure to add extra Espelette pepper for an additional kick.
Try our other piperade recipes too:
- Piperade: A Basque Country Saute of Peppers, Tomatoes, and Onions
- Basque Chicken with Spicy Piperade Sauce
- Make the piperade according to our instructions. You'll need about 2 cups for this recipe.
- Chop the parsley.
- Meanwhile, heat water in a large pot to poach the eggs. Crack four eggs into a shallow bowl, being careful not to break any of the yolks. When the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium low and slowly lower the bowl into the water, gently pouring the eggs into the pot. Poach the eggs until set but still runny, 3-5 minutes.
- To serve, spoon some warm piperade onto each plate. Place an egg on top and garnish with Espelette pepper, chopped parsley, and some flaky salt.