Grilled Lemongrass Chicken – Bún gà nướng sả
2 poundsboneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup finely minced lemongrass
2-3 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon coriander seeds or ground coriander
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly ground black peppper
1 package dried rice vermicelli noodles
1/2 cup or moreThai (or Vietnamese) basil
2 tablespoons, finely chopped roasted peanuts
Flavored fish sauce (nước chấm) to taste.
|The chicken breasts, after grilling|
1. Prep your ingredients. Finely mince the lemongrass, if you don’t have any already prepared. If not, cut the bottom half-inch off the lemongrass stalk as well as the greenish top portion of the stalk, and discard. Peel the outer layers, and then with a sharp chef’s knife, thinly slice the stalk into coin-shaped pieces. Mince the coins until you are left with tiny bits. Or use a food processor. Peel and mince the garlic cloves. Toast the coriander seeds, if using, in a dry pan until fragrant, then grind.
2. In a bowl, combine the lemongrass, garlic, ground coriander, salt, pepper, and oil. Stir until the mixture forms a paste-like consistency. Rub the spice mixture on the chicken breasts and let marinate at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, boil the water necessary to cook the vermicelli noodles, shred the basil, and chop the peanuts. When the water is boiled, place the noodles in a bowl and pour the water over it. Let it stand until done, according to the noodles’ package instructions, usually 9-10 minutes. When the noodles are done, drain the water, and toss noodles with some canola oil to prevent sticking. The noodles should be room temperature when you serve them.
3. When the chicken is done marinating, light a gas or charcoal grill or broiler, and grill or broil the chicken until done, 8-10 minutes per side.
4. While the chicken is cooking, make the nước chấm, if you don’t have some saved already.
5. When the chicken is done, let cool slightly, then cut into strips.
6. Arrange a mound of vermicelli noodles on a plate and top with several strips of chicken. Top with plenty of basil and chopped peanuts. Serve immediately, pouring on some nước chấm to taste.
Total time: 45 minutes
Makes 4-6 servings