Like many Brooklynites and other humans, I have big ideas about having a little urban garden in my little plot of outdoor space. What could be better than fresh herbs and veggies just outside the kitchen door, on the windowsill, or out on the fire escape?
New Yorkers will stick a garden wherever there’s space. So, as part of a little home improvement project, I thought I’d take a late-summer shot at it. I’m totally amateur at this, so I’ll need help. Please comment or email me with suggestions.
My garden faces numerous challenges. They include:
– No sunlight. Like many urban gardens, my garden suffers from too much shade.
– Slugs. They have a particular fondness for basil. Last time, they ate it before I could.
– Insects. If I think these plants are delicious, I bet some flying and crawling things will too.
– Mysterious disappearances. My last attempt at thyme failed when it simply vanished one day all the way down to the roots.
– My own incompetence. This might be the biggest problem.
I’ll keep y’all up to date on how things go and what I learn, if anything. You can expect some recipes with herbs coming down the pipe!